Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dude, that's gross

Britten is gone to her coaching class again, so it's me and the boys hanging at home. Thankfully, there's lots of college basketball on, seeing as it's tournament time. I'm still crossing my fingers that Davidson makes it into the big dance after losing in their conference tournament. That, and I think that Curry should come back for his senior year since the rest of the team is going to be awesome next year. Plus, it's nice to see the Wildcats dominate (ish).

Digression aside, the dogs and I fell into our normal solitary routine - they're slugs and I do whatever. Two highlights have come out of the night. First, something normal, but something that never ceases to make me chuckle. After I feed the dogs, Cozby always comes over to wherever I am - I think it's to thank me for giving him food (it's such a surprise for him, since he thinks I'm more likely to kill him). The thing is, he always comes over just long enough to work up a good and smelly burp. Really. It always seems to be, "Oh Daddy, thanks so much for the food (and not killing me)," but then after about 15 or 20 seconds he burps and walks away. I'm starting to think it's some kind of dominance act for him. Either that, or he's so freaked out that his stomach feels weird that he's coming to me for comfort, but when he burps the feeling goes away and so does he. Either way, the dude has got some smelly burps.

The other highlight from the night was when I got out the dog blanket. A little history here... Before Britten and I started dating, Chili had his spot on the couch and I had mine. He deposited lots of hair in his spot, so once Britten came into the picture (and we got rid of the old hairy couch), he was banned from the couch except when I put a blanket on first. It's a hassle, so as time has progressed, I've put the blanket on less and less. In fact, since the last time I did it, Britten and I have switched spots on the couch (yes, I know, it's strange that her spot was the spot orginially held by the stupidest animal on the planet). So, now I sit in the spot Chili used to occupy. History lesson over. Tonight, I put out the blanket and Chili waited by his (my) spot for me to let him up. This time, though, I sat in the spot and told him to get up on the other side. He did, but was completely dumbfounded (ha!) on what to do once he got up. He looked around and then finally settled on trying to occupy the two thirds of the couch that I wasn't occupying. Funny thing, it felt strange to me too. So, after about ten minutes, I told him to get back in his bed and put the blanket away. It's a milestone for us, perhaps the end of the dog on the couch. At least until I sit on the other side...

No comments:

Post a Comment