Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Big news

This morning, we had some big happenings at our household. I let the dogs out as usual before getting in the shower. When I emerged and was getting dressed, a huge commotion erupted from the backyard. There's always some barking from back there - Chili letting the darkness know that he's got solidarity with it, or Cozby noticing that there's other things in the world making noise - but this was different, so I was compelled to take a look.

I stepped out on the deck half dressed and saw the dogs in the back corner of the yard barking at something. Figuring it was just someone in an adjacent yard, I called to them and in their agitated state, they came racing back to the sliding glass door. Because I'm a punk and like to mess with their minds, I closed the door and didn't let them in. They gave me a confused look, then tore off to the back corner again and resumed their barking. I repeated the process 3 more times, with the exact same results, before Britten intervened and I really went out to take a look.

It was not someone in an adjacent yard. It was a raccoon on a telephone pole. What's more, the raccoon probably challenged both our mutts in the weight department - I'd guess it was at least 30 pounds. After seeing that, and recalling vividly our experience with mandatory rabies vaccinations this summer, I quickly herded the dogs inside. Sadly, no pictures, but maybe the varmint will be back tomorrrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment